Behind the screens

The Grade 8 Journalism Club looks back on the year.

Twelve+members+of+the+Grade+8+Journalism+Club+published+18+articles+for+The+International.+

//Staff

Twelve members of the Grade 8 Journalism Club published 18 articles for The International.

Karen (8) and Sahana (8)

This year, some eighth graders in the Grade 8 Journalism Club have been working on articles and publishing their pieces on the school’s online newspaper, The International.

The club was started by two determined eighth graders, Sahana and Nicole, who wanted to have a Journalism Club that was available for grade eight students to join.
When the club was started, only five students joined. But as time went on, more students were interested in the club, and more students joined. As of now, the club is made up of 12 grade 8 students who have been writing articles on various topics.
In total, the Grade 8 Journalism Club has published 18 articles. Shiori (8) said, “I thought it was a great experience and I had great fun.” Yoshimi (8) said, “I was able to learn how newspaper articles are written, with shorter paragraphs compared to normal essays. The experience was very interesting.”

Looking into the future

Being young students who have started their journey toward being successful writers, these students will soon move into high school. Although it is the end of the Grade 8 Journalism Club, the students will still take on the skills they have learnt and use them in the near future.
A few of these students have said that they will take the actual Journalism Options class in high school, and write more articles for The International. An active member of the group, Nicole (8), said, “I think it would be a good opportunity for me, and this will go a long way for my writing.”