Bigger and better: Sacred Heart returns to the Solo and Ensemble Festival

A record number of students will represent Sacred Heart in the Solo and Ensemble Festival.

The+Vocal+Ensemble%2C+under+the+direction+of+Mrs.+Ofstedal%2C+is+rehearsing+%E2%80%9CJoiku%E2%80%9D+for+their+upcoming+concerts.+

Darya (11)

The Vocal Ensemble, under the direction of Mrs. Ofstedal, is rehearsing “Joiku” for their upcoming concerts.

Darya, Writer

The annual Solo and Ensemble recital will be held in the Duchesne on Friday, November 13 from 1:00 p.m. The Solo and Ensemble recital is a chance for the high school student body, faculty, and parents to hear the talented singers of Sacred Heart perform the pieces they will be singing at the Solo and Ensemble Festival.

The Solo and Ensemble Festival will be held at the Christian Academy in Japan on Saturday, November 21 from 9:00 a.m. This year, there are a record-setting fifteen small groups and solos representing Sacred Heart at the festival. The songs that will be performed vary from the Renaissance style, to the Romantic style, to the modern Folk style. The event will be open to the public. 

This year, the Vocal Ensemble will be performing “Ave Maria”, a challenging, yet beautiful piece. It’s unexpected harmonies catch the audience’s attention and keep them at the ends of their chairs, until the chords resolve. The Vocal Ensemble this year has seventeen singers, which will be the largest vocal group  Sacred Heart has ever had. “Since there are a lot of members this year, it more difficult to lock in everyone’s pitch. However, “Ave Maria” will challenge us to do so, and will take this ensemble to a new level, after its performance”, said Alice (12), a Vocal Ensemble veteran.