Postcards from the Class of 2015

Mizuki (11), Haruka, and Sarah W (12)

Yasmim Botelho

Yasmin on top of the Capilano Bridge, British Columbia.

Where are you?

I’m in Vancouver, Canada at Simon Fraser University.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose Vancouver mostly because it was more affordable, but also because the weather isn’t as bad as the rest of Canada.

What’s your favourite thing about your school so far?

My favourite thing about my school is the size of it. It’s such a big school with so many diverse programs that I can change things around.

Have you experienced a cultural shock?

It’s not really a cultural shock, but Vancouver has so many Japanese restaurants I almost feel at home. And Canadian people are extremely nice; it isn’t just a stereotype.

What’s something you would tell ISSH girls that are thinking about this city/school?

My school is not very well-known, but it’s definitely worth a shot if you’re looking for the Vancouver area and if it has the program that you want to take (which it probably does). It’s a very diverse school and its Burnaby campus is located on top of the mountain where the sunsets are epic.

When are you coming back to Tokyo?

I’m really not sure. I was going to go back during the winter, but things didn’t work out as planned so maybe summer.

Joanna Lynch

Joanna smiles for a photo at the National Mall in Washington, DC.

Where are you studying?

I just spent a semester studying at the George Washington University in Washington, DC However, I’m transferring to the University of Sydney in February.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose DC because after spending my whole life in such an electric and exciting city like Tokyo, I knew I wanted to be in a city that has a lot going on and is also convenient to get around. Also, DC is the capital of the US and has a lot of historical landmarks, monuments, and interesting attractions. My dorm was literally less than a 10-minute walk to the White House, which was pretty cool.

What’s your favorite thing about your school so far?

I really enjoyed taking classes that are specific to my certain interests. For example, I took a class called Intro to Criminal Justice since I’ve always been interested in criminals and stuff like that, and I was completely fascinated. I also enjoyed meeting new people from different backgrounds and learning about their views on the world.

Have you experienced a culture shock?

The first few weeks were really hard for me. I definitely experienced culture shock because living in the US is so different to what you see on TV and to what I previously thought. Even though I thought I knew a lot about American culture, there were a lot of references my friends made and I had no idea what they were talking about. After going to an international school for my whole life, it was interesting to see how people reacted when I had to answer the question “where are you from?” It was also interesting to see how some people were totally unaware of the world and other cultures outside America.

What has been the hardest thing to adapt to?

Living away from home and having to control my money spending. Also, it has been hard to adapt to American food portions. I don’t know how people eat that much food.

What’s something you would tell ISSH girls who are thinking about this city/school?

If a traditional-campus style University with a lot of school spirit and if community feel is important to you, then you won’t like GW. However, if you want to be in a great city with a lot of interesting opportunities and attractions, then you will probably like it!

Maya Minier

“Just go for whatever you feel is best for you, no matter how close or far it is. It all works out in the end.”

Where are you studying?

I am at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, California.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose it for the weather (can’t study if the weather makes you sad) and the encouraging but competitive academic environment and level.

What are you studying?

I’m looking to major in computer science but, for now, I’m finishing my requirements which are mostly sciences and maths.

How has the transition from living in Japan to living in the U.S. been?

I’ve always been pretty all over the place and don’t identify with one particular culture so it wasn’t too noticeable to me.

What would you tell any ISSH student who intends to apply to your university or a university in your area?

Don’t be intimidated – it’s not as big of a change as you’d imagine, and it’s not the end of the world if you don’t like it (you can always transfer), so just go for whatever you feel is best for you, no matter how close or far it is. It all works out in the end.

Julia Peters

Julia is making the most out of her time in Boston.

Where are you studying?

I’m currently studying at Boston University.

Why did you choose this location?

Honestly, Boston was a pretty random choice for me. I liked that Boston is considered a “collegiate hub” and thus has elements of opportunity and internationalism. Although it isn’t the metropolis Tokyo is, Boston has it’s own city-life and atmosphere.

I’ve really been enjoying my classes and the experience of immersing myself in something I find truly interesting.

Have you experienced a culture shock?

I don’t think I’ve experienced drastic culture shock because the community here at Boston University is quite international and diverse. However, living in the US is definitely different from living in Japan. Ultimately I think it’s the necessity for a heightened awareness and acknowledgement of one’s surroundings.

Since Boston University is a pretty massive school, I’ve found it requires quite the effort to become involved. At Sacred Heart it’s easy to be involved in a lot of different activities and extracurriculars and that’s the norm. I had to become acquainted with a feeling of independence and detachment that I never strongly felt at Sacred Heart. That’s not to say it’s a bad thing- it’s completely liberating. Although I think the feeling is exacerbated at larger schools, I think it exists everywhere and is just a part of college.

I believe location to be an extremely important factor in the college decision process. Boston’s great because it has so many different, exciting elements: universities, city-life, the New England atmosphere, the architecture and history, the weather. It’s about introspection and realizing what you want from your college experience.

Diane Shin

A statue of Benjamin Franklin, the founder of the University of Pennsylvania.

Where are you studying?

University of Pennsylvania

Why did you choose this location?

I chose Penn because the emphasis on an interdisciplinary curriculum appealed to me. Penn actively encourages students to challenge themselves with classes from varying fields. Students are in either the College of Arts and Sciences, the Engineering School, Wharton Business School, or the Nursing School where they can take classes focused on their majors, but they can also explore and take classes from other schools easily. Many students at Penn double major or minor in two completely different fields and still find time to explore activities and spend time with friends.

My most favorite thing about Penn is the people. The students and faculty members that I have met have been open minded and passionate about their interests. I also like the fact that it is very easy to get to know the professors you have. Students are allowed to take the professors out to lunch with a few other classmates and get to know them more.

Have you experienced a culture shock?

So far, I don’t feel like I have experienced any major culture shock and have been able to acclimatize myself to the Penn community. However, after being in an international community at ISSH, I was very surprised to discover how unknowledgeable some people were of different cultures around the world.

The hardest thing to adapt to was definitely the food and the proportions.

Philadelphia itself is a great place to be a student —the fact that there is a city right next to the campus makes eating, shopping, and hanging out with friends convenient and easy. Pennsylvania is also close to New York and DC so many students make weekend trips to NY and DC with friends. Penn is a great, diverse community where you can find all sorts of classes, clubs and groups, opportunities to work, and chances to take on research opportunities with notable scholars. Penn is regarded as being a very pre-professional school, but this shouldn’t hold students back from applying because it doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone at this school knows exactly what they are going to do in the future. Many students like myself are given the chance to explore and find a field they are truly passionate about.

Miyu Tada

Miyu paid Sacred Heart a visit over her winter break.

Where are you studying?

I’m studying at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.

Why did you decide to go to Johns Hopkins?
They have a public health studies major, an open curriculum, and so many other things. Also, the school was a perfect fit for me and I love the community — go Blue Jays!!

What’s your favourite thing about the school?
The university’s underlying values of exploration and discovery.

Having the independence to plan your whole day and week which comes with having to manage your time while adapting to dorm life and college coursework.

How is the classwork? How is it different from ISSH?
More so than in high school, the more you put into your classes the more you will get out of it, since much of the assigned readings or homework is up to you.

Do you have any advice for students looking forward to college life?
Enjoy high school as much as you can. I feel like the more you enjoy high school, the more you’ll enjoy college (because college is even better)!