7th grade ICT uses Minecraft for education

The Grade 7 class shows Minecraft isn't all just fun and games.
Mr. Thompson
The Grade 7 class shows Minecraft isn’t all just fun and games.

On April 28, the 7th grade ICT teacher, Mr. Thompson, started to use Minecraft to teach his 7th grade students. Through Minecraft, students can learn about technology, mathematics, and architecture, and also enhance their imaginative and collaborating skills. Minecraft also helps students to develop leadership skills because experienced players act as mentors to beginners.

Grade 7 students collaborated with each other to build creative structures in class. In the future, they will use Minecraft  to learn about architecture and mathematical topics such as proportion, ratio, and volume. They can also use Minecraft to explore and build replicas of historical buildings and to create basic logic circuits.

When asked why he started to use Minecraft to teach his students, Mr. Thompson replied, “I was interested in using Minecraft for educational purposes when I went to an educational technology conference with Mr. Wehrle and Ms. Griffiths, and also when some students from last year’s class had suggested it.”

Mr. Thompson also used Minecraft to teach his students about zoning, in which specific areas allow only specific buildings to be built, and about public works to improve a society.  In the future, students will use Minecraft to create digital dioramas and animations.

“The school paid for a license that allows 25 students to be online and be able to use Minecraft at the same time. We purchased a version of Minecraft called ‘MinecraftEDU,’ which allows teachers to access tools that can help them check on the students’ progress and teach their students more easily,” said Mr. Thompson.

Most students of 7th grade students have been enjoying using Minecraft in class. The 7th grade’s Minecraft journal contains positive feedback from the students.

Alice, a 7th grade student, said, “I didn’t like using Minecraft before because I didn’t know how to do anything with it, but now I find it enjoyable and sometimes addicting.”

Sanjana said that she likes to play Minecraft even outside of class, and her favorite thing to do was to build houses. Danika said she played outside of class often when she was free.

Mr. Thompson plans to use Minecraft next year. He believes using Minecraft this year for educational purposes was quite successful with his 7th grade students.

A home-sweet-virtual-home constructed by a 7th grader using Minecraft.
Mr. Thompson