Erika

More from the Class of 2021 Series:
Erika

“Hey, I’m Erika and I joined Sacred Heart in freshman year (2017). From this fall, I will be attending Waseda University’s School of Political Science and Economics as a Global Political Economy major. 

My best memory at ISSH is probably getting to be the Cross Country team manager for two years, and having the opportunity to design the team shirt at the end of the second year. It was insane seeing my design be worn by my friends and other students, really making me love the team even more. A weird memory I had would be when I ate outside with my friends before Bingo Night for sure. We grabbed takeout but didn’t have anywhere to eat, so we sat in a circle in front of the Breezeway in the dark, with only the lights from our phones. It was bizarre, but I feel like it really brought us closer.

All excursions were great, but 10th grade was especially memorable for me. Not only was the food and the scenery wonderful, but getting to go to the modern art museum with my friends and taking photos endlessly was a surreal experience. To this day my camera roll is filled with these photos, and I look back once in a while just for the nostalgia.

Looking back, I’m really thankful that I was surrounded by people who supported me no matter what, and embraced my interests as a part of my persona. I can’t even count the numerous times I’ve been encouraged by my friends to pursue my dreams, and I couldn’t have come this far without them. It’s strange to be able to have such open conversations in classrooms with teachers and students, and I think that being able to openly say what I want to say has really made me an original and unique person.

One piece of advice for underclassmen would be to spend your years here with no regrets. If you want to try out for that position, do it. If you think something seems even a bit fun or entertaining, don’t hesitate to sign up. The freedom of opportunity at ISSH is something that’s hard to find anywhere else, and everyone will support you no matter what decision you take. Trying out for a Student Council position in my first year here was a challenge, but the support I received throughout my year as Grade Vice President continues to encourage me to pursue my dreams today. Go for it! I hope you make the best out of your time at ISSH.” — Erika