Postcards from the Class of 2014

We checked in with a few of our favorite grads . . .

The International decided to check up on the a few of the graduates from the class of 2014.

Here’s what they have to say about college life.

Pim Mai

GW PIM
Pim Mai chilling with her friends at George Washington in D.C.

Where are you?

I’m at George Washington University in Washington D.C..

Why did you choose this location?

I chose this location because I wanted to be in a politically active city. However, I made sure that DC had some great shopping, food, and other things before coming here.

What’s your favorite thing about your school so far?

My favorite thing about my school so far is how many opportunities you have to explore who you are.

Have you experienced a cultural shock?

The stationery in the States is terrible.

What’s something you would tell ISSH girls who are thinking about this city/school?

I would tell ISSH girls that whilst D.C. is the capital city, it’s definitely quieter than Tokyo. Also, GW is a city campus, so you don’t get the whole “college campus feel” here.

When are you coming back to Tokyo?

Possibly December 2014

Yuhki Kim

yuhki
Yuhki and her roommate at ICU

Where are you?

I’m at International Christian University (ICU) in Mitaka, Tokyo.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose this university because I thought that the curriculum they offer and the atmosphere really fit my goals and personality. Also, it’s a bit far away from the part of Tokyo I used to live in, so I can still get the experience of living away from home without going overseas.

The people. Everyone here is so kind, supportive, and determined. It’s inspiring to learn with people who are passionate about what they do. I also love the campus. It’s full of nature and there are tons of animals–cats and even raccoon dogs. 😀

Have you experienced a cultural shock?

I was pleasantly surprised by how little people seemed to care about seniority-based status relationships. Before I came here I imagined a really strict Japanese system of the kouhai (the younger student) always being uptight and respectful to the senpai (the older student), but that doesn’t seem to happen  in ICU, which was a great relief for me!

What has been the hardest thing to adapt to?

Dorm life was really hard to get used to at first. I had no idea how to separate the trash, use the washing machine, pay my bills, etc., and I was basically completely lost. Also, it was hard getting used to the fact that I was a part of a minority in the dorm, because everyone else is Japanese and I am one of the very few foreign students that never went to a Japanese school.

I’ve been here for only two weeks and I absolutely love it. Although you get a lot of homework and you’re expected to take a lot of classes (even P.E.!), you will learn so much from your experience and make friends that you’ll truly cherish. If you’re thinking about attending but you’re not sure because of the difficulties of commuting, I recommend living in one of the dorms. The people here are all very nice and you’ll feel at home right away.

When are you coming back to Tokyo?

I’m technically already in Tokyo, but I sometimes come back to the central part of Tokyo during weekends.

Sarah Reynolds

SARAH
Sarah Reynolds and her rowing team at the University of Charleston.

Where are you?

I am at the College of Charleston in South Carolina.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose this location because the campus is absolutely beautiful and you get the feeling of a small school in a medium-large campus.

My favorite thing about the school so far is the campus, but I also love the crew team I joined, all the people I’ve met, and the community. I get such a good vibe just from stepping on campus. It’s hard to explain, but I love everything about the College of Charleston!

Have you experienced a cultural shock?

Moving from the north to the south was a bit of a culture shock, because people are a lot friendlier. They even say “hi” to you on the street! It was also weird at first to not have to order Starbucks in Japanese. I was really aggressive the first time I went to Starbucks here, because I forgot I didn’t have to mime my order.

The hardest thing to adapt to has been not having my ISSH Class of ’14 around. It was such a great group of people and it’s hard not seeing them every day.

I would tell ISSH girls who are considering this school not to brush it off just because it isn’t a “name brand” school; it has been on the rise for the past couple of years, and it’s really one of the best places you could end up in in my opinion.

When are you coming back to Tokyo?

I am coming back to Tokyo for winter break in December.

Rachael Alfant

Rachael is studying at the University of Chicaog
Rachael is at the University of Chicago

Where are you?

University of Chicago in Illinois.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose this location for its city life and academic program.

My favorite things are the people, the atmosphere, and the academics.

Have you experienced a cultural shock?

Yes, the crazy abundance of food and people.

Jetlag and not being able to speak Janglish to people. It’s also really cold here, but it is really amazing. If you surround yourself with good people, you’ll definitely adapt more easily.

Don’t be one of those people who finds their racially-oriented clique on the first day and doesn’t look to meet other people thereon after. Both the person who comes from a similar background as you do and the person who comes from a very different background from you have the potential to make you see the world in a different light.

When are you coming back to Tokyo?

Winter break.