Tech help center rescues confused computer users

A new Tech Help Center helps students and teachers with fixing technological problems quicker and easier.

Nicole

Lili (7) helping out Maya (7) with a problem on her computer.

Nicole E. (9), Writer

A Tech Help Center has been created for middle and high school students to help students and teachers who are having trouble with their computers. The Tech Help Center is open every lunch time to anyone.

The club started off with 16 students from many different grades. However, the number of members is still rising. Members of the club meet up every day from 12:40~1:00 p.m., and although at first this may sound like big commitment, in actuality, it’s way more flexible than it sounds.  “It’s not like you have to come in every day,” says Mr.Thompson, the sponsor of the club. “Some kids come in to help out every other day, some once a week- it’s very flexible.” During club meetings, members learn everything from the basic to the more complex side of technology. Along with making it easier to help out those who need it, these learning sessions also allow members to better their own understanding about technology.

Hadyn (7) and Chihiro (7) collaborate.
Nicole
Hadyn (7) and Chihiro (7) collaborate.

Both the members of the club and the students/teachers who come in for help has been learning a lot about technology. For example, recently there has been a project where students have had to scan something for a class. Two students who were having trouble scanning went to the computer office to receive help, and Mr.Thompson helped the students, while a member from the Tech Help Center watched. Several minutes later, a few more students came in for help, and the member who was watching Mr.Thompson a few minutes back was able to help the student’s scan.

Although the Tech Help Center may be just at its starting point, there seems to be a lot hope for success. “We want people to be aware that [the Tech Help Center] is available, it’s running, and we’re here to help!” said Mr.Thompson.  “I think the Tech Help Center will be a success because a lot of people have problems with computers and teachers (the IT department) can’t always help. We can help when the teacher’s can’t,” said Sofia (8), a current member of the club.

“I love technology- it’s nerdy, but I love it!” says Mr.Thompson with a laugh.
Nicole

“Technology has always been considered as more of a male field. We want our students to have more opportunities to get into technology, especially because we are in an all girl’s school,” says Mr.Thompson when asked the benefits of starting the Tech Help Center. “I’m very excited about this,” he said. “I love technology- it’s nerdy, but I love it!”